Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mummy Tummy

Funny how easy it is to forget about commitments to blogging. Since the last time I posted to this blog, I found out I was pregnant, and we have pretty much retired the boobs (weaned).

I'm enjoying planning for birth #2 (which will be a home birth) and really love the midwife I have chosen. With pregnancy #1, I moved from OB care to midwife care about halfway through and was amazed when prenatal visits went from 10-15 minutes to 45. But now, every visit is scheduled to last an hour, and there us no rush if we go long. It's awesome to have such 1:1 individual care. Oh and even more awesome is she comes to my house, so no rush to drive across town.

Anyway I wanted to post about something I have learned. I have spent the last 2 years thinking my "pooch" or mummy tummy was something that just had to be accepted as part of having a baby. And at the same time, I have also spent 2 years complaining about "hip pain" and throwing money at Chiropractors for fixes.

Then, a month or so ago during a prenatal exam, my midwife observed that I have a diastis...which means that the tissues that hold together your central abs (the six pack) never really healed together. In my case, the gap between the muscles is so wide you can insert 4 fingers! And, as it turns out, these muscles are the ones ultimately responsible for holding your pelvis and organs in place. So all of my hip pains, as well as some digestive issues and most obviously my pooch, all have the same root problem. And the thing that makes it all super exciting is that because it is a muscle group, it actually CAN be toned back into shape.

I bought a book and found it a bit confusing, so instead I've decided to work with a personal trainer who has a special program dedicated to rehab of this particular muscle. I'll try to remember to post updates and nit neglect my blog!

- Blogging from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment