Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

My little love bug #breastfeeding

Next week Xan will be 18 months. We are now to the point where people are surprised to see he is still breastfeeding. Tonight, my husband (who thinks that 2 is just around the corner), said we are "almost done".

I have no ideas as to how much longer we will breastfeed. Part of me thinks as long as I am making milk, my baby must need it, right? I realize that it is a supply and demand thing and "as long as I am making milk" could drag on. But for the most part I enjoy nursing my baby.

This is not to say we don't have challenges. I find it really annoying that every one of my shirts is stretched from him tugging at them, and it embarrasses me when he sticks his hands down my blouse at the grocery store. And I am really, really tired of the all night boob cafe (we have been experimenting with night weaning for a month or so).

But overall, I really feel that if we had weaned before a year, I would have missed out on something special. It used to be that I nursed my baby because he needed it...he was crying, hungry, I didn't know what else to do. Now I nurse my baby so we can have special quiet time together. I can see the love we share in his eyes and the sweet way he strokes my face and hair. We relax and melt away our stress together.

Right now I'm in another room, hoping my boobs will get a rest tonight, but all I can think of is the sweet, loving, and appreciative way my son looked at me before he fell asleep.


- Blogging from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment